6.09.2011

Walk With Me for Haiti

As a third grade teacher at Community Roots, we finish up the year with our World Communities Study. For a lot of schools, this might mean studying one place and learning some new facts, maybe a few fun field trips, and calling it a day.
But of course, to us, it means more. so much more.

By the end of third grade, most 8 and
9 year olds are now fascinated by those around them. This can be both good and bad. They want to know about others and the world around them, but it can cause a lot of insecurity, since their mind is full of questions like: Who am I? What am I good at? Who are my real friends? ( side note: does this ever really end?) So, we try to give them at least one good answer: you are a member of the World Community. Since we teach them that being a good community member means to stick to and practice our core values such as helping each other, it is our responsibility to extend these core values beyond our school, neighborhood, even our city, and out into the world.

Last year, our kids decided to do this by responding to the horrible earthquake in Haiti by hosting a walk a thon. We raised over $10,000 dollars, thanks to our hardworking 3rd graders and amazing families. This year, we decided to do it again. After all, Haiti still needs our help, and our 3rd graders know a friendly, meaningful, helpful relationship takes more work and means more than a one-time event. Also, our 3rd graders really understand that the best way to feel lucky and comfortable and content in in your own home is to make sure you are doing your best to share what you have with others.

Hopefully, my 3rd graders will be able to answer those nagging, life-long questions with: I am a good person, a helpful person, and an important member of my community.

That's the thing with helping others, right? It is kind of like a walk-a-thon. It's fun, you make new friends, and in the end, everyone wins.


photos courtesy of our amazing para, Alex.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a really good point about continued help for Haiti. I our short attention span culture, focusing on a long-term problem like Haiti is a good lesson. It may also give the kids a chance to develop relationships or perhaps learn how last year's contribution has made an impact.

    Who am I? What am I good at? Who are my real friends? I'm 46 and I'm still asking these questions.

    Nice Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog!! I really enjoyed reading it and I think what you teachers and what your students are doing is beautiful and inspiring! Keep up the hard work!!
    And yes, I ask myself those questions...everyday!! haha!!

    xoxo...miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! How can you keep up with this and Facebook too?

    ReplyDelete